Saturday, January 5, 2013

My Fitness Pal

This time around for my weight loss goals I am using My Fitness Pal application on my iphone to track my calories and exercise.  In 2011 I used Weight Watchers but I feel like I know the program well and while I was successful with it; I only did the online portion which is pretty much tracking calories.  My Fitness Pal is free and a similar concept.  It is a pretty sweet application.  Here is a summary of what it can do.


  1. Tracks food.  It has an extensive library of foods and gives you the ability to add your own foods as well.  It also allows you to build recipes to see calorie counts and has a bar code scanner that you can use to scan your foods and enter into your diary that way.
  2. Tracks water consumption.
  3. Tracks exercise.  Similar to the food, it has a large library of exercises with approximate calories that they burn or you can create custom exercises.
  4. Notes: allows you to take notes in the food and exercise sections.
  5. Tracks weight.  You can weigh as often as you want and it will show you your progress and has several graphs.
  6. Social networking.  Allows you to connect with friends or other My Fitness Pal participants to share information and blogs.
  7. Goal setting.  It allows you to set a goal of how much weight you want to lose in what amount of time and then sets up your calorie allotment for you.  It shows you your calorie goal, actual calories consumed, -exercise calories burned, net calories, and how many you have remaining.  
  8. Facebook integration (I am not using this) but it allows you to share information on facebook.
I have tried several different applications and this is the one that I like the best.  It is super easy to use.  It can also be used on droid phones, any idevice and the computer.  If you haven't heard of it.  You may want to check it out.  I must say, it is pretty awesome!

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about doing Weight Watchers online to help me with my diet but this app sounds a bit better with all the other things it can chart as well. I do wish I had a smartphone to do this with, since I seem to be the only one who doesn't have one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even weight watchers is best with a smart phone! There app is really good. You can do myfitness pal with the computer too but you'll have to log stuff to remember it and enter it later. WW is a great program though and I fully support it!

    ReplyDelete