Thursday, January 10, 2013

Creating Small Goals

I love, love, love the Biggest Loser.  I have watched every episode of every season.  I hated last season because of all the drama and back stabbing but with the return of Jillian Michaels this season, I knew I'd be watching.  To be honest, I rarely watch TV.  I think it is a time sucking, fat making machine.  I do watch occasional movies on Netflix and sometimes spend too much time sitting and doing the internet but for the most part I try to be moving.  I love playing with my kids, making dinner and even though not my very favorite I even enjoy running errands and picking up the house.  I really don't have time for tv...between CPR classes, running a business, planning meals, taking care of kids, teaching zumba, learning new dances, etc there isn't lots of extra time.

However, lots of people watch tv.  Sadly I can't tell you a single thing about Grey's anatomy or Downtown Abbey.  I have never seen Sex in the City or Lost but I bet you have.  Have you?  What's your favorite?

I am fortunate enough to have a treadmill.  For one of my small goals I decided that I would not allow myself to watch the Biggest Loser unless I was watching it from my treadmill.  I guess if I like the show well enough then I will put in the work to earn it.  The season premier was 2 hours long and I walked 6 miles that first night.  It was really hard, actually.  Yet the time seemed to go by really quickly.

Too many people get sucked into the television and especially kids.  We don't even have a tv on the main level of our house.  If you want to watch tv you have to the basement.  When my mother-in-law came to visit, this practically drove her crazy as she loves her shows like Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars.

I encourage you all to be more active with your kids.  Limit the TV time.  Set an example.  While I was on the treadmill my kids were watching.  You may not have a treadmill but you have a body that works so work it.  Here are some ideas for you, if you don't have a treadmill.  During your favorite show challenge yourself to exercise during all of the commercials   Here are some things you could do: jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, high knees, speed skaters, butt kickers, pretend jump rope, burpees, lunges, air squats, etc.  Are you in??  Let me know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas Cheryl! I have a few favorite shows that I'm guilty of just sitting there on the couch doing nothing while I watch them. Next time though I will be adding some sort of exercise into it. I record everything I watch so no commercials but instead of sitting on the couch I'm going to take Kimberlee's suggestion and sit on a yoga ball. I always forget about doing that but your blog reminded me! :) Thank you! Oh and awesome job walking for the full 2 hours of the show! That takes discipline!

    ReplyDelete