Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dance, dance, dance

I have danced my whole life.  I started when I was 3 and took lessons thru high school.  When I was 14 I joined a competitive traveling team and got to experience some really awesome stuff.  I even took some dance in College.  Dance was a huge part of my life and a huge part of my exercise.  At one point I was in lessons for 4-5 days a week, 2-3 hours a day.  When it all stopped, it seemed like I didn't know how to exercise.  I took some aerobics but found it to be boring and just wanted to dance.  I actually dreamed about being one of those dorks that are in the shows at places like Dollywood.  I got a taste of it when I got to dance in one of the parades at Disney and for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.

However, I got married when I was 18 and put myself through college and there was no dancing.   My days looked like this:
7AM-Get off work, take shower
8AM-Go to your first class
3PM-Get done with school
4PM-Answer calls at the College IT help desk
5-11-Sleep, do homework, eat dinner, get ready for work
11-7-Wait tables at Denny's Restaurant

If any of your kids want to tell you that they have it hard (while you are paying their way to school), remind them that lots of people have it a lot worse.  It really wasn't so bad and I only did that for a year and then I got a different job with better shifts but I have had two jobs almost my ENTIRE life.  Even now if you count teaching Zumba as a job.  So why would I want to add another thing to my plate?  I have 2 kids to play with and a CPR business to run...Zumba really?

Well, let me just tell you that teaching Zumba has been such a blessing.  You are all blessings.  I have made some great friends and knowing that you all will be there hold me accountable.  I am doing something that I truly love.  Dancing again!  And in the process getting in better shape.  I could have done that by being just a participant right?  I don't think so.  For me, I am very motivated by being in the front.  Who wants to be the teacher and be the biggest girl in class.  Not me!  It also forces me to be there.  For example, yesterday I was so SORE.  I had worked out with Travis on Saturday and he had trained me to do some squats.  There is no way that I would have went to Zumba yesterday.  Yet, I had to go.  So I did, and something magical happens as soon as I turn on the music and look at all your faces.  It also makes me happy to see people that remind me of how I was 2 years ago; and I hope that I can motivate them.

It is great to have instructors that are in awesome shape.  It motivates me but it can be overwhelming and make you feel like crap when you have a weight problem.  It makes it seem like you have SO FAR to go.  I want everyone to feel comfortable in class.  We are all at different levels.  However, don't underestimate this big girl...cause you're all about to get your butt kicked on Saturday.  Keep coming, I love you guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment